You can make your home smell fresh like a spring day every day of the year with our 5 essential oils ideas and Thieves Household Cleaner and a few everyday kitchen items.
I am personally a huge fan of Young Living but these ideas work well for any brand of pure essential oils including Doterra and great Aussie brands too.
Everyday we are becoming more aware of the nasty toxic chemicals in our everyday cleaning products? You only need do a very quick google and you will see the harmful effects of cleaners like you use everyday in the bathroom, kitchen bench tops and toilet, the kinds of products we are buying from the supermarkets in particular. The labels may be marked as green or eco or natural but the manufactured fragrances and chemicals leave a residue on the surfaces of your home that your precious family members touch many times a day. These chemicals can be harmful to all the family and pets too and we are learning that they can have lifelong effects on our health.
I have learnt that it is so easy to go down a chemical free path in your home with simple ingredients that work on all the house surfaces so you are spending less in the supermarkt cleaning isle too - saving your health and your hip pocket.
The ingredients list I use for all my cleaning needs are bicarbonate soda, vinegar, witch hazel and demineralised water - all available in any supermarket and they go along way too when made with simple recipes.
Now I personally love Young Living essential oils for their range and quality however you can use any brand of pure essential oils including those from Doterra Australia or Plant Therapy.
Plus, check out the large range of amber bottles for cleaning in stock as well.
The first thing to switch out is your fragrances like plug ins and candles , essential oils can be diffused to freshen the air, naturally deodorize any space, and enhance your cleaners! It is simple and can be in a spray bottle for things like toilet freshener, linen sprays and room deodorisers. I love to use Purification essential oil with a dash of witch hazel and water to eradicate the smells in the toilet floor grout and air. View the recipe here. Pop 3-5 drops of your favourite essential oils in a room diffuser like the Desert Mist diffuser and enjoy the benefits of the scent.
With house cleaning in full force everyday especially when you have children, it’s important to use a cleaner that is not filling your home with harsh chemicals. So many typical supermarket cleaners are filled with harsh chemicals that negatively impact our health and the environment.
Scientific evidence is continuing to prove that exposure to harmful chemicals in your home is a contributing factor in many diseases. If you want more information on how and why you need to clean without harsh chemicals, check out our Healthy Home class.
What can you do to improve your home cleaning?
Use plant-based cleaners such as Thieves Household Cleaner, or try making your own DIY cleaner with these powerful essential oils!
Adding a few drops of essential oils like Lemon, Pine, Purification®, Tea Tree, Orange, Citrus Fresh, Rosemary, Grapefruit and Eucalyptus Radiata to your naturally derived cleaning solutions is all you need for a powerful cleaning solution without the harmful chemicals! Armed with pure essential oils, bicarb and vinegar you can clean safely and naturally.
• Lemon’s citrus scent is a ideal in any home and is a cleaning must.
• It makes a great sticky adhesive remover! Use a few drops to help remove stickers, labels, and goo from surfaces!
• Add a few drops to your laundry detergent or wool dryer balls for a pleasant, refreshing aroma.
• Add a few drops of Lemon to your surface cleaning solution to clean your floors, surfaces, and windows.
• Refresh your home with the rich aroma of Pine and bring the outdoors in. Add a few drops to floor surface cleaners and creates an aroma reminiscent of fresh air and the outdoors.
• It adds a clean, sweet scent to your home when diffused! Try 3-5 drops in the Desert Mist Diffuser or our wooden essential oil diffusers.
• Add it to your Thieves Household Cleaner to mop your floors.
• Combine Pine with water and spray it on carpet for a fresh smell after vacuuming.
• Add a few drops of Pine to olive oil and Thieves Household Cleaner to shine your wood furniture and floors.
• Replace overpowering aerosol fragrance sprays with Purification.
• Purification is made up of six essential oils for the ultimate tool against odors: Citronella, Lavandin, Lemongrass, Rosemary, Myrtle, and Tea Tree.
• Add a few drops to laundry to give your wash a great-smelling boost.
• Place a few drops on cotton balls or wood clothes pins and stash them wherever necessary: the car, closets and drawers, air vents, shoes, or gym bags.
• Create your own air freshener by mixing 5 drops of Purification and 2–3 drops of your favorite essential oil, plus a cup of distilled water, in a glass spritzer bottle to attack offensive smells after cooking.
• Tea Tree is best known for its ability to get rid of musky, undesired odors. Diffuse it anywhere that needs some refreshing, try a wooden oil diffuser to suit your decor.
• Tea Tree is a great natural deodorizer.
• Mix 5 drops of Tea Tree and 3 drops of Lavender with a cup of baking soda to make your own carpet powder. Sprinkle it over carpet, let it sit for 15 minutes, and then vacuum away!
• This blend is a powerful combination of Clove, Lemon, Cinnamon Bark, Eucalyptus Radiata, and Rosemary essential oils.
• Thieves fills any space with a rich, spicy aroma when diffused.
• Add a few drops to your dishwasher or dish water to thoroughly clean your dishes and eliminate odors.
• Add a few drops of Thieves to a cotton ball and leave it resting on your air conditioning vent to infuse your room with its spicy, sweet aroma and eliminate odors.
• Mix 1 part Thieves Household Cleaner and 3 parts baking soda to create a thick, deep-cleaning paste. Apply the mixture to desired areas and scrub thoroughly.
I highly recommend you start your low tox lifestyle change with the Healthy Home Young Living starter kit. The kit includes everything you need to begin cleaning your home with essential oils and Thieves Household cleaner.
The Thieves cleaner is a great cost saver too and a healthy way to save on money and cut back on plastic containers being thrown away as well.
Thieves Household Cleaner
All I do is dilute 2 caps of Thieves Household Cleaner in a 500ml trigger spray bottle with demineralised water and use it to clean every surface in my home, we sell both glass bottles and PET bottles for you to make up your own spray with reusable containers to save plastic waste. You can buy the Thieves Cleaner here and the 500ml trigger amber glass spray bottle here. Now you know how to use Thieves Household Cleaner ! How simple is that!
Now to work out the cost savings on your typical supermarket brands - for the Australian version of Thieves Household Cleaner cost I divide the cost of the bottle by the amount I use per 500ml of solution I make.
Retail Price of Thieves Household Cleaner is $52.50 for 426ml and I use 20ml or 2 caps per 500ml which works out to be around 20-21 bottles of cleaner or about $2.65 each. If you are a wholesale member that is around $2 per bottle which beats the supermarket prices hands down in price and for natural cleaning that is safe for you and your family.
To order your bottle of Thieves Household Cleaner in the 426ml size click here
To order your bottle of Thieves Household Cleaner in the 1.8l size click here
For an amber glass spray bottle in the 500ml size click here
And for a PET 500ml amber bottle click here